Let your imagination go wild; this recipe can be used for a tapenade, side dish, pizza topper, dip, and sandwich filling with fogassa. You can also can this mixture for later use, freeze, or keep in your refrigerator up to one week.
1 pound each mini peppers and Japanese eggplant
2 oz. of peeled and chopped garlic
4 oz. capers
8 oz. Giada olives or Kalamata olives
12 oz. chopped, seeded, peeled Roma tomatoes
2 oz. pure olive oil for brushing peppers and eggplant
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
1/8 cup chopped, fresh basil
1/8 cup chopped, fresh oregano
4 oz. extra virgin olive for tossing finished mixture
2 oz. red wine vinegar
- Wash mini peppers and Japanese eggplant well.
- Toss mini peppers in olive oil, slat and pepper and char over open flame till outside of pepper starts turning charred, set aside and let cool.
- Slice Japanese eggplant in 1/2 inch rings, brush both sides with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake at 350 degree oven till golden brown, set aside and let cool.
- Mix extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, capers, Giada olives, chopped tomatoes, chopped oregano, and chopped basil and cook 10 minutes over medium heat, set aside to cool.
- Place the cooled mini peppers and Japanese eggplant in a large bowl and coat with the cooled and cooked sauce, add a little extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar and toss to coat.
- You may add Feta or mozzarella cheese, shrimp, tuna, or chili peppers as you choose.
- May be stored for up to a week in a covered container in the refrigerator.